Last edited by Altec Best; September 13th, 2013 at 12:47 AM. Reason: Off Topic for the Title
Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.
Yes, he was a real pioneer even into the digital age. He was immortalized in Rob Reiner's film "This Is Spinal Tap" when Jeanine (girlfriend) tells the guys that she thinks their album was engineered wrong.
Jeanine: "You don't do heavy metal in dubly." Nigel: "In what? In what? In dubly?" Jeanine: "In dubly. You can't..." David: "She means dolby, all right?"
original.jpgdublyblack.jpg
Last edited by voice of the theater; September 13th, 2013 at 10:31 AM.
Being of "Sound" Mind
I don't have the tech knowledge to figure it out, but have often wondered just how much he contributed beyond converting RCA's incredible Disney Fantasia tube, analog delayed multi-channel system to the digital age. No mean feat to be sure, but ground breaking innovator? I'm not so sure.
GM
Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.
Dolby B Noise Reduction System in my Nakamichi 582 Compact Cassette Recorder meant I could make a copy of a new LP record for top quality everyday playback. My previous recorders(HiFi) made inferior copies.
Nakamichi really nailed the bass, Dolby cleaned up the hiss. A bonus is that most of my 'vinyl' is in mint condition.
Opinion is only as valid as its verifiable supporting evidence.

IMHO When you see so many Dolby decoders,encoders in so much equipment these days you have to agree.He has done something right.I don't have the tech knowledge to figure it out, but have often wondered just how much he contributed beyond converting RCA's incredible Disney Fantasia tube, analog delayed multi-channel system to the digital age. No mean feat to be sure, but ground breaking innovator? I'm not so sure.
GM
No, I don't. This is like saying that Amar Bose was a great innovator because he used digital EQ to make a crappy little sealed cube single driver the foundation of the world's best selling speaker system.
As for Dolby's noise reduction, I don't know if RCA's system included any type of analog solution, but it never much impressed me as it took too much 'life' out of the recording. Now the folks that figured out how to digitally remove the hiss, pops, clicks of vinyl without seriously effecting a recording's sonics gets my vote though.
GM
Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

He actually built his stuff on others work, so I agree. I'd have to call him more craftsman than innovator...he made noise reduction work well, when it had not previously, but did not invent the idea. As far as number of units in place, that's more a testimonial to marketing than innovation.
To me, a true innovator is say, Thomas Edison, who had WAY more than one idea.
Dolby never had the class of for example Dick Burwen...
Dick Burwen
I mean, find me a link to Dolby's home system wouldja?
In the pro audio world, Bose stands for Bring Other Sound Equipment. But their airplane headsets work well, still have a set somewhere.
Your neighbors called. They like your music.
History is not always kind to inventors. Inventions are often attributed by reason of commercial success, fraud, professional eminence, misappropriation of credit, ignorance of events elsewhere, and even national jealousy.
Do a Google search for invention 'light bulb' and 'sewing machine' for examples.
Mark Twain was an inventor. The last comment in this link is quite interesting: Mark Twain quotations - Invention
Opinion is only as valid as its verifiable supporting evidence.
Bookmarks